Monday, September 2, 2013

Beautiful Beachy Make Over





I love transformations that make sense... like the ugly duckling becoming a beautiful swan or  a hairy little ole caterpillar becoming a majestic flying beauty.  So when I cam across this large, bulky, dark,  OVERBEARING HUTCH.. I knew immediately that it was in need of a makeover.

 
 
The first thing I did was lose the top.... I had grand plans of adding legs to it and transforming it into a really cool bookshelf...but with so many projects going...I ended up giving it away to someone who actually really needed it. 

I painted it an aqua color (chalk paint) and added a mocha glaze to the top of it.  It ended up looking like the perfect piece for a beach house!

 
The difference in color between direct sunlight and a darker room is amazing.  In the above photo, the piece is still in the garage with the sun shining in behind it...and it's green.  In the photo below, it's in a hallway with indirect light and it's definitely blue!
 
 
I used the original hardware
 

and distressed it heavily prior to waxing it - which works well on this piece.

 
The makeover transformed this from something that should be hiding in the closet to something that should be front in center in a family room with a flat screen adorning it.....  or in a dining room - as a buffet..... or in a formal living set up as a bar ..... or..... oh, the possibilities are ENDLESS...
 
 
 
One thing is for sure... it no longer makes me think of Hansel and Gretel being stuffed into a cage in a dark German forest!
 
 
 
 
It makes me thinks of a quaint beach cottage with the sound of the surf crashing and the smell of warm salt air.....

(UPDATE:  I sold this to a family that was adding to their beach house as a media center....perfect!)
 
What do you think?  

Linking to these great parties!

6 comments:

  1. Wish I had a beach house! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty! I love the color and I agree that it should be displayed somewhere prominent. Stopping by from Not Just a Housewife.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty - I absolutely love that colour!!
    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! Love the color! So glad you used the original hardware - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hopped over from "My Romantic Home", I am stalking all the diy paint people as I they have just launched Annie Sloans chalk paint in New Zealand and they have asked me to work with them. I hope to do some pieces myself but never tackled anything more than the legs on a table I applied a French wash with. I am hoping the Annie Sloan paint works well. Did you use Annie Sloan paint on your cabinet and did you have to do an undercoat?

    I love how you have taken a piece of old furniture, given it not only new paint but a completely new look, I am very impressed.

    Lee :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by Lee... I did not use Annie Sloan chalk paint - although it sure seems amazing... Congrats on the opportunity to work with them!

    I used homemade chalk paint (plaster of paris/water/paint) - painted a mocha glaze on the top of the that and then finished it off with wax. The chalk paint gave me complete coverage in two coats - so no, there was no undercoat...

    Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete