Monday, October 7, 2013

UPcycled Tahoe Blue Media Center


Just finished this little beauty over the weekend.

I get the best feeling when a project comes to life EXACTLY as I envisoned it would.   In blog-land, this vintage dresser-turned-Media Center doesn't seem like all that much of a stretch....but now that I'm working with Mr. Fix-It on projects....I have a lot of convincing to do.  He is a carpenter by trade - even though he doesn't do that for a living - and I am a visionary - with no carpentry skills.... So, together we make a good team.  I just have to say "trust me" - a lot! 



I don't have a good "before" picture - what else is new though?  That's starting to become the norm with me.... I found this picture of the dresser in the background of another project I was taking pictures of.    So, this is the "before" we'll go with!


 

It is a vintage three drawer oak dresser that I've had for several years.  The drawers don't work properly but I was still using it up until a few months ago, when it took up residence in the garage.

The original plan was to fix the drawers and re-paint it but we quickly found that the odd size made the drawer slides pretty spendy.... so, what's the next best thing?
UPcycle it into something useful!

The first thing Mr. Fix-It did was to remove the drawers including the wood between the middle and bottom drawer and the runners.  He then covered the back with veneer and made plywood shelves for the top shelf and the bottom piece.  
 
He counter-sank (counter-sunk??)  the screws straight into
the front of the piece and filled them with wood putty.... 
Simple....(for him!)  This is the stuff I could learn
to do - but you can't teach patience, which I lack.....
so when I say I really couldn't do all this
- know that I mean it!

 
But when I got it in this condition I was ESTATIC!!!
 THIS is something I can work with!
 
I chose Lake Tahoe Blue Behr paint/primer and after I mixed up my own version of chalk paint, I went to town!
 
 
I then distressed all the edges and covered everything EXCEPT the inside and shelves with Valspar's Mocha Brown Glaze. 
 
 
 
 
 
Finally, I hand-waxed the entire piece and then buffed it up for a fabulous durable and shiny finish!
 
 
I love the combination of the blue and brown.
 


 
 
 Even though it is meant to be a Media Center..... Flat screen on top and DVD or DVR on the shelf... I couldn't bring myself to move my TV on top of it for the sake of staging a picture...I'm not keeping this lovely piece, it is currently for sale.

It works well as a shelf unit and now that I'm going to be a grandma - I'm thinking this would also be adorable in a nursery, with a pad on top as a changing table!  I'm finding so many great things that could double as changing tables these days!

Mr. Fix-It and I are really happy with this transformation! 
What do you think?

Sharing the love at these GREAT PARTIES!
 
 
 
 

25 comments:

  1. Suzie, I love it - the color is great and the transformation awesome.... Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too cute! Love the color and the distressing. It came out great, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great in its new blue "third" life ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful transformation! TFS! I'm following you now via GFC.
    www.vintagecreationsbycw.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carmen! I'll stop by and check out your blog!

      Delete
  5. Sweet refinish! Pinned:) New follow for google, G+, FB, Pinterest:) Follow back at sewsweetvintage.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the way this looks! The color is gorgeous, and I love the "no drawers" look!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What great team work! It looks fantastic! Love the finish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! The color is so pretty! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just love this color. I told my husband this morning I wanted to paint our bedroom furniture. You did a nice job on this. Thanks for the inspiration. I found you via Fluster Buster link party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I'm so glad you found me!!! YES, YES, YES....paint that furniture!!!

      Delete
  10. I would never have thought that it was once a dresser. I love the colour - it looks especially good with the red lamp on top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Erin! This one is hard for me to part with because it just keeps growing on me!!!

      Delete
  11. Really great job! My second favourite colour too! This is my blog - http://www.origamigirl.co.uk/#/blog/4579209219

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is very pretty - I love the color and the light distressing. I admired how you "staged" the shot as well - nice accessorizing!
    Marie@InteriorFrugalista

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely work! I found you via Redoux ;)

    ReplyDelete