Friday, August 30, 2013

Dining Table - Take Two!

I had previously written about finding this great table at a garage sale for FREE.... Yes. Absolutely stinkin free!  Nada, zip, nuttin! 
 
I actually had a table exactly like this about 15 years ago. So who knows, perhaps this is my old one. Regardless, lately I have found myself on the lookout for a pedestal table "just like the one I used to have"......



 
 
But wait, I'm getting a little ahead of myself.  That beauty you see above is NOT what I got for free.... No, here is what my freebie looked like.

 
 
and I don't feel as though these pictures do justice to just how utterly disgusting this table was!!!  Food caked on it, clay, play-do, paint, glitter glue, barbeque sauce (I'm guessing).... It was really, really in bad shape... No amount of cleaing and scrubbing was going to take it all off either, so I pulled out the stripper....


 
and the sander....



When I was finished, I used a Minwax stain to get a deeper, rich color on the top and painted the base in an off-white (homemade) chalk paint.  Finished the top with a few coats of polyacrylic sealer and waxed the base.... 
 
 
 

I'm ready to go shopping now for linens and tableware to make it pop!  And yes, I know I need more chairs and a nice rug, as well..... In time....

 
 
What do you think?

Sharing the love at these great parties!

16 comments:

  1. We actually have this exact table and it is still in good shape, but I was given my mother in laws that is not in great shape and I have it in the same room but the woods are different colors...I think I will use this idea to coordinate the two! ty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like the idea Catherine! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!!

      Delete
  2. Your table turned out beautifully. I love getting a really banged up piece and turning it into something to be proud of. I too make my own chalk paint and will never use anything else again.

    Keep up the great work!
    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Crystal! Your comments just made my day!!!

      Delete
  3. Wow! Who give away tables for free? Nobody in my neighborhood! Jealous I am. :)
    It looks great! Love the warm tones on the top with the paint on the bottom.
    Have a great weekend. :)
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully done! I love the combination of the stained top and the white painted base! Great job! Thanks for sharing at Submarine Sunday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! Thanks for sharing at Silver Pennies Sundays. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love what you have done.I have a table at my house that looks about like the one you redid. I wish you could come over and redo it. LOL You should come party with us and show of your creativity.
    http://obsessiveandcreative.blogspot.com/2013/08/craft-frenzy-friday-2.html
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rhonda! Yes, a lot of people have signed me up to come paint their furniture....lol

      Delete
  7. This looks great! Thanks for posting on Craft Frenzy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How great your table came out! I have one very similar to yours and have debated using AS chalk paint but can't get myself to pay the price of the paint and wax. I will look into home made chalk paint, now. Yours came out beautiful! Ana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much! Definately look into homemade chalk paint as a cheaper alternative... I would love to use AS - but I can't bring myself to pay that price either - when I get such great results by mixing it up myself! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. Your table looks fantastic! Can you give the recipe for your home made chalk paint please? Your results are as good as anything I've seen by AS!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant! I absolutely love the idea. How do you make organizing look so cute?! news

    ReplyDelete