Tuesday, November 5, 2013

UPcycled Cable Knit Sweater - Part 1

 

Last winter I was loving all the sweater-covered home accessories I was seeing. 
 
 
With the days getting shorter and colder -  and winter fast approaching, I set out to find some sweaters at Goodwill that I could upcycle.










Mission accomplished!  I found this "like-new" gray cable knit sweater for only $3!  And, it's a men's large - so my plan is to get 7 projects out of it! 

 2 jar cozies - for lack of a better term, which I will show you below.  2 Pillows, 1 Cowl Scarf, 1 Wine Bottle Wrap, some ornaments and a partridge in a pear tree.....
 

I found these little glass jars at The Dollar Tree, which I thought would look great covered in a gray cable knit sweater. 

Okay, I didn't really think that.... these were just the first things that I came across that I could cover.  (I was actually searching high and low for a candle in a glass jar to use - but -  I think someone broke it and tossed the evidence while I was at work - because it was nowhere to be found...I'm not blaming anyone....just sayin'...it's nowhere to be found.......) 
 

I checked to make sure the sweater would stretch around the jars.

 
When I saw the perfect fit, I was giddy!
 
Mr. Fix-It looked at me like I was crazy and then said "Looks like a jar in a sock."  A Sock?  What?.... Then he asked, "Why are you covering the jar anyways?"    I tried to explain I was putting a sweater on the jar....then I had to laugh....  Some things just have no explanation other than, "because it's AWSESOME"!!!!
 
(In all fairness, I think I did ask what he thought of it.... One of these days, I will learn....)
 
Next, I cut the cuffs off.
 
 
And secured the bottom edge with some fast-drying tacky glue. 



I tucked the cut edges under to give it a finished look.  This glue worked great with the sweater.
 

Here it is finished full of pens/pencils for now.  Once I get my Christmas decorations out, I'll probably change it's use.  They'd be great gifts full of candy/cookie mix/with a candle in them....
oh the possibilities!

 

Rather than making two identical ones, I decided to cover a Mason Jar with the other sleeve, but this time I wrapped the bottom completely - secured it with my glue and it sits perfectly flat!


Here it is, holding change, but I loved it so much I brought it to work and now it's sitting on my desk holding pens. 
 
I'm just waiting for someone to ask me why I have a jar in a sock!


I can't wait to get all the other projects finished.  In the meantime, it's back to Goodwill to hunt for more sweaters. 

Be sure to check back to see what I do next with this sweater.

Sharing the love at these great Parties!
 


 
Fluster Buster

8 comments:

  1. Hi, I love this idea and I saw it on share your cup party. Julie at julieslifestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is adorable! I would love it if you would link up to my link party at http://ihearthandson.blogspot.ca/2013/11/show-off-fridays-3.html

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that is getting along of bang for your buck! 7 projects, that is awesome. Really fun ideas. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! I love upcycled things--in fact I have a pinterest board for recycled jeans, one for towels, and one for recycled t-shirts. I'll have to start one for sweaters ;) Thanks for linking up at Bloggers Brags Pinterest Party. I've pinned your post to the Bloggers Brags Board.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi once again I love this and congrats on the feature on fluster buster! I am going to pin this. Julie at julieslifestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Suzie, Congrats! You were one of the top 2 links visited at SYC this week. I can see that a lot did not leave comments. Darn!
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it is cute and cozy.

    When not in use for something taller than the jar, or for a candle, You could make it a little head and have a desk mascot!

    ReplyDelete