Thursday, August 8, 2013

God Bless Texas - Subway Art - Silhouette Portrait Project #8

My 10 year old son wanted to do an "art project" with me.  He told me didn't care WHAT we did..... AS LONG AS HE COULD USE THE CUTTER.... The Silhouette Portrait - that is. 
 
I've been wanting to make some Subway Art - so we combined his love for all things "TEXAS" with the "CUTTER" and here's the result.  This was almost a FAIL....but in the end, we saved it.


He started by attaching 4 cedar fence boards - cut down to about 24" each together by screwing some scrap wood into the backs - with supervision, of course.
 
 
Nothing fancy here...
 
Then, he painted it all with an off white chalk paint - unsupervised... He did well!
 
 
I think at this point the imperfection of it makes it just PERFECT.....
 
We started cutting all the words he associates with Texas out of black contact paper and laid them out on the board.  I thought we'd fill it all up - but he was getting tired of the whole thing by this point into it....so we made due with the words we had.
 
 
Now......here's where the FAIL comes in..... After all the words were attached to the wood, I took it outside and sprayed it blue with spray paint....  Then I came in and while I was cleaning up I noticed a "D" stuck to the bottom of my foot!!!!! 
 
Here's the first look at the letters peeled off once the spray paint dried.... GO BLESS TEXAS?  No, no, no, no.....
 
 
Obviously while I spraying I didn't even notice the missing "D"
 
But, in the end I was able to save it by painting a "D" freehand....which is NOT a talent of mine, but he didn't mind at all.  It matches the colors of his Dallas Cowboy walls - perfectly!
 
 
He loves it!  And he's proud of it, since he helped make it!  And I love it because it's something we created together....
 
What do you think? 

Sharing the love at THESE parties!

3 comments:

  1. So cute. Thanks so much for sharing at this week's Adorned from Above Link Party.
    Have a great weekend.
    Debi and Charly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Debi and Charly.... I hope you both have a wonderful weekend, as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love that you did this together. What a nice memory you share, and a pretty darn cute Subway Art too. for what it's worth

    ReplyDelete